The 24-year-old worker was placed in an induced coma after the cleaning product he was using caught fire at On Sunset Lebanese restaurant in Parramatta, Sydney
A man is in serious condition in hospital after catching fire at the restaurant where he worked.
Diners at On Sunset in the Parramatta borough of Sydney had to be evacuated after a spark from a faulty dishwasher ignited the detergent being used by the man on the floor.
The 24-year-old worker suffered severe burns on 30 percent of his body, including his arms, face and chest, the Daily Mail reports.
The employee was placed in an induced coma by paramedics before being taken to the hospital for further treatment.
The incident at the Lebanese restaurant happened Tuesday night and also led to the evacuation of 150 people living in apartments above the venue.
Colleagues reportedly used sprinklers to prevent the man’s burns from getting worse while they waited for emergency services to arrive.
New South Wales Ambulance Inspector Brian Parsell said in quotes reported by the drain : “This patient was in significant pain when we arrived after suffering burns on about 30 percent of his body.
“We were able to stabilize the patient and put him into an induced coma on site before transporting him to Concord Hospital for further care.
“This is a reminder to the public of the hazards involved in working with commercial and domestic gases; We ask that you beware of open flames and flammable liquids at all times.”
NSW Police and fire investigators carried out inquiries at the restaurant on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Safe Work NSW is also investigating the matter, with the fire believed to have been caused when a cleaning substance used by the man was ignited by a spark from a dishwasher with an electrical fault.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/restaurant-worker-catches-fire-cleaning-27306157 Restaurant worker catches fire while cleaning when onlookers hold him to sprinkler - World News