In response to Western sanctions, the Russian Foreign Ministry has banned dozens of British journalists, media representatives and defense officials from entering the country
Russia has banned dozens of British journalists, media representatives and defense officials from entering the country, its foreign ministry confirmed.
According to Moscow, 29 journalists and members of British media organizations such as the BBC, the broadcaster Sky News and the newspapers Guardian and Times were personally banned in response to Western sanctions and the “spreading of false information about Russia”.
Another 20 British figures whom Moscow said are linked to the defense industry have also been banned from entering Russia.
“British journalists included in the list are involved in the deliberate dissemination of false and biased information about Russia and events in Ukraine and Donbass,” the ministry said in a statement released on Tuesday.
“They are also helping to fuel Russophobia in British society with their biased assessments.”
The list includes high-profile journalists, news anchors, editors and senior executives, including the editors-in-chief of the Times, Daily Telegraph, Independent and Guardian newspapers.
The Foreign Office also issued travel bans on 20 people linked to Britain’s defense industry and therefore responsible for supplying Western arms to Ukraine.
They included Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Benjamin Key, Deputy Secretary of Defense Jeremy Quin and senior figures from defense and aerospace companies BAE Systems and Thales UK.
“It’s sad but not entirely surprising,” said Mark Galeotti, an expert on Russia who was among the banned.
The following is a list of British nationals who are no longer allowed to enter the Russian Federation
- Shaun WALKER, correspondent, The Guardian;
- Con COUGHLIN, Daily Telegraph columnist;
- Stuart RAMSAY, chief correspondent, Sky News;
- James ROTHWELL, journalist of the Daily Telegraph;
- John WITHEROW, Editor-in-Chief, The Times;
- Chris EVANS, Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Telegraph;
- Richard Simon SHARP, Chairman of the BBC Broadcasting Company;
- Timothy Douglas DAVIE, CEO, BBC Television;
- Katharine Sophie VINER, Editor-in-Chief, The Guardian;
- Clive MYRIE, BBC correspondent and presenter;
- Orla GUERIN, BBC correspondent;
- Nicholas Anthony ROBINSON, BBC presenter;
- Paul ADAMS, BBC correspondent;
- Nicholas BEAKE, BBC correspondent;
- Alexander James THOMSON, Channel 4 news correspondent and presenter;
- Dan RIVERS, ITV correspondent;
- Peter BEAUMONT, journalist for The Guardian;
- Emma GRAHAM-HARRISON, Correspondent, The Guardian;
- Sophy RIDGE, journalist and presenter of Sky News;
- Catherine Elizabeth NEWMAN, journalist and presenter of Channel 4 News;
- Edward VERITY, Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Mail;
- Christian BROUGHTON, Editor-in-Chief, The Independent;
- Larisa BROWN, military news editor at The Times;
- Mark GALEOTTI, political scientist;
- Joseph BARNES, correspondent of the Daily Telegraph;
- Gideon RACHMAN, columnist for the Financial Times;
- Luke Daniel HARDING, correspondent, The Guardian;
- Dominic Ralph Campden LAWSON, columnist for The Sunday Times and Daily Mail;
- Lawrence David FREEDMAN is a columnist for the Sunday Times.
People associated with the defense complex
- Jeremy Mark QUIN, UK Deputy Secretary of Defense;
- Leo DOCHERTY, Under-Secretary of State in the UK Parliament;
- Benjamin John KEY, Commander Royal Navy, Chief of Staff Royal Navy;
- Michael WIGSTON, RAF commander;
- Robert Andrew MAGOWAN, Deputy Chief, UK Strategic Command;
- Charles Richard STICKLAND, Commander, Joint Operations, UK Armed Forces;
- Roger Martyn CARR, CEO, BAE Systems Campaign;
- Charles Nicholas WOODBURN, Board Member, Executive Director, BAE Systems Group of Companies;
- David ARMSTRONG, President of the BAE Systems group of companies;
- Glynn Stuart PHILLIPS, General Manager, BAE Systems group of companies;
- Clifford Mark ROBSON, President of the BAE Systems group of companies;
- Alexander Colin Kynaston CRESSWELL, Chairman, CEO of Thales UK;
- Christopher Benoit Waller SHAW, Chief Operating Officer of Thales UK;
- Paul GOSLING, Vice President, Thales UK;
- Ewen Angus MCCRORIE, Vice President, Thales UK;
- Suzanne Jayne STRATTON, Vice President, Thales UK;
- Lynne WATSON, Vice President, Thales UK;
- Gregory Lloyd CAMPBELL, Member of the British House of Commons;
- Gavin James ROBINSON, Member of the British House of Commons;
- Samuel WILSON, Member of the British House of Commons.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/russia-sanctions-sky-bbc-stars-27233290 Russia sanctions Sky and BBC stars among scores of journalists in long 'stop list' - World News