News

Salon boss rented deadly tanning beds via Facebook that could have killed tanning fans

One of the sun loungers hired out by Golden Brown Sunbeds in Hartlepool had an exposed ‘live’ cable rated at 230 volts, almost five times the lethal dose

A tanning salon owner could face a prison sentence
Graeme Carlton conceded six offenses at Teesside Crown Court

A tanning salon owner could face jail time after supplying dangerous tanning beds that could have electrocuted his customers.

‘Obstructive’ Graeme Carlton, who ran Golden Brown Sunbeds in Hartlepool. admitted six offenses at Teesside Crown Court this week.

During an investigation by Hartlepool Trading Standards, it was found that one of the sunbeds was at risk of overheating because an exposed live wire was carrying 230 volts – nearly five times the lethal dose.

A voltage as low as 50 volts can be potentially fatal.

The case dates back to April 2018 when the North Yorkshire Trading Standards team was contacted who received a complaint about the safety of a vertical residential sun lounger supplied by Carlton.







One of the standing sunbeds hired out by Golden Brown Sunbeds in Hartlepool
(

Picture:

Hartlepool Council)

The customer said the under-bed was rusty and a nail was holding its hinges together, while its ‘dirty’ lightbulbs ‘looked like they had never been changed’.

It was condemned as dangerous after an electrical expert inspected the tanning bed and found it to be in violation of electrical equipment (safety) regulations.

Although both trading standards teams tried to raise their concerns with Carlton, Hartlepool Borough Council said it had “little or no interest in complying”.

Both he and the company were served with a recall notice in July 2018, asking them to recall the tanning beds over concerns it posed a serious risk of injury or fire to the public.

However, the company continued to rent out sunbeds on Facebook, breaching the notice.

After a “test purchase” and rental of a sun lounger from Golden Brown Sunbeds in October 2018, Trading Standards found several safety regulations had not been met.

The council described Carlton as “obstructive” and in November 2018 issued a public safety alert over his sunbed rentals at home.

In another test purchase by Hartlepool Trading Standards in November 2019, Carlton was caught by surprise when he personally delivered the gear, despite claiming he had stopped trading.

An electrical engineer found again that many individual safety regulations had been violated.

Carlton pleaded guilty on June 6 to four counts under the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016 and two more under the Consumer Unfair Trading Regulations.

He is due to be sentenced on September 22 in a case brought jointly by the Hartlepool and North Yorkshire Trading Standards teams.

After the hearing, Rachael Readman, senior trading standards officer at Hartlepool Borough Council, said: “This has been a lengthy case, partly due to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on the legal system.”

“We are pleased that we have finally been able to bring this to a successful conclusion and it demonstrates our commitment to keeping the community safe.”

Continue reading

Continue reading

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/salon-boss-hired-deadly-sunbeds-27208965 Salon boss rented deadly tanning beds via Facebook that could have killed tanning fans

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button