Canadian police searched Wednesday for a fourth day for the remaining suspect in a killing spree that killed 10 people in and around an indigenous community and shook a country unused to acts of mass violence.
yles Sanderson, 30, whose brother and accused accomplice was himself found dead a day after Sunday’s attacks in the province of Saskatchewan, is reported to have briefly reappeared Tuesday near the killing spree, about 320 km (200 miles) north of the province its capital of Regina.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) on Tuesday issued an alert about “a possible sighting” of the surviving brother on the James Smith Cree Nation tribal reservation, urging residents to stay indoors and be vigilant.
CBC News reported a heavy police presence on the indigenous reservation following the warning.
Hours later, however, the RCMP said its investigation had revealed the suspect was staying elsewhere, although his whereabouts were not known and the public was urged to exercise caution.
The fugitive and his brother Damien Sanderson, 31, are suspected of stabbing ten people and wounding 18 in the James Smith Cree Reservation and nearby village of Weldon on Sunday, rocking an Indigenous community of 3,400 in one of the bloodiest attacks to have in modern Canadian history.
Damien Sanderson was found dead on a lawn on the reservation the next day. Police said they are investigating whether the younger sibling killed his brother and may have sustained injuries that may require medical attention.
Authorities have not given a possible motive for the attacks. Police said some victims appeared to have been targeted while others appeared to be accidental.
Ivor Wayne Burns, a resident of the James Smith Cree, said the Sanderson brothers were from First Nations communities and were under the influence of drugs at the time of the crimes.
Regina Police Chief Evan Bray said late Monday the search for Myles Sanderson was focused in that town, but a videotaped Twitter update released Tuesday said the manhunt was “opening up expanded the province”.
Of the surviving victims, ten were in hospital as of Tuesday afternoon, seven in stable condition and three in critical condition, health officials said.
Some First Nation leaders have linked the killings to drug use, but police have not cited drugs or alcohol as factors.
Media attention has focused in part on the circumstances of Myles Sanderson’s parole release earlier this year.
Sanderson has been wanted as a fugitive since May, when he failed to meet his parole officer after serving time for assault, robbery and other felonies, CBC News reported.
The CBC, citing documents from Canada’s Parole Board, reported that Sanderson had 59 criminal convictions in two decades.
Public Safety Secretary Marco Mendicino told reporters the board would “conduct an investigation into the decision” to release Sanderson on parole.
Asked at a Tuesday news conference about reports that Sanderson had been unlawfully at large for several months, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told reporters, “We are still in crisis mode.”
“For the past two days, we have focused on doing everything we can to keep people safe,” he said.
https://www.independent.ie/world-news/north-america/canadian-manhunt-for-suspect-in-deadly-stabbings-stretches-into-fourth-day-41968065.html Saskatchewan Murders: Canada’s manhunt for suspects in deadly stabbings continues into fourth day