On Thursday, Aston Martin said Germany’s Nico Hulkenberg would replace compatriot Sebastian Vettel in the Formula 1 opener in Bahrain after the four-time world champion tested positive for Covid-19.
Sebastian Vettel has tested positive for Covid-19 and will therefore not participate in the 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix,” the team said in a statement. Practice for Sunday’s race will begin on Tuesday. Six.
Hulkenberg is the team’s reserve driver and has replaced them three times since he last raced full time in Formula 1 with Renault in 2019.
The 34-year-old has replaced Mexico’s Sergio Perez twice and Canada’s Lance Stroll once in 2020 as the Silverstone-based team competes as Racing Point, with both drivers testing positive. with Covid-19.
His last race was the 2020 Eifel Grand Prix at the Nuerburgring, when he replaced Stroll.
The 2015 Le Mans 24 Hours winner started 179 Formula 1 championships without standing on the podium, in a career that began with Williams in 2010 and includes encounters with his predecessors Aston Martin Force India.
He holds the F1 record for most starts without three finishers.
Sunday’s race is the start of a new era for Formula 1, with a major overhaul of aerodynamics and cars that are heavier and have bigger tyres.
Vettel is the second driver to test positive for Covid-19 this month, along with McLaren’s Australian Daniel Ricciardo who will return to the back yard on Thursday after a period of isolation.
Formula One has relaxed its previously tight Covid-19 protocols this season.
The Saudi Arabia Grand Prix at Jeddah will take place from Bahrain next week and Aston Martin has made no announcements about its plans for that race.
https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/motor-sport/sebastian-vettel-to-miss-bahrain-grand-prix-his-replacement-has-record-for-most-starts-with-no-podium-finish-41457167.html Sebastian Vettel misses Bahrain Grand Prix – his replacement has the record for most starts without a podium finish