Sir Mo Farah says he is “relieved” the Home Office has no plans of action against him, after the shocking revelation that he was brought to the UK illegally as a child.
The four-time Olympic champion, 39, says there are so many people he “owes to my life” and that it has given him “strength” to talk about his past.
Sir Mo revealed in a BBC documentary titled The Real Mo Farah how he was illegally brought to the UK from Somalia, taking the name of another child, after his father was killed. in the civil war.
He was later helped to obtain UK citizenship by his school gym teacher Alan Watkinson, while still using the name Mohamed Farah.
The UK Home Office has the power to legally strip individuals of British citizenship if they are found to have illegal citizenship.
But the department has said it will not take “anything” action against the athlete.
A No 10 spokesman said of the Olympic champion: “He’s a sporting hero, he’s an inspiration to people around the country.
“It is a shocking reminder of the horrors people face when they are trafficked. And we must continue to crack down on criminals who take advantage of these vulnerable people.”
Asked if the Home Office had taken any action against Sir Mo, he said: “Absolutely not.
“I think the Home Office has been very clear that there will not be any action against Mr. Mo and that is in line with the guidance.”
Video of the day
Asked in an interview with the BBC how he felt about the Government’s response, Mr Mo said: “I feel relieved”.
“This is my country, without Alan (Watkinson) and the people who supported me throughout my childhood, I probably wouldn’t have the courage to do this.
“There are so many people who have been very supportive, especially my wife, throughout my career and have given me the strength to come out and talk about it and tell me it’s okay to do this.”
It comes after the Metropolitan Police said it was “evaluating” allegations by Sir Mo that he was trafficked into the UK as a child and forced to work as a domestic worker.
The Met Police said in a statement: “We are aware of media reports regarding Sir Mo Farah.
“No reports have been made to the MPS (Urban Police Department) at this time.
“Specialty officers are currently assessing the available information.”
Figures from the political world have hailed Sir Mo as “really inspiring” and a “wonderful Englishman” after he revealed he had been trafficked to Britain as a child.
Tory hopeful Nadhim Zahawi hailed Sir Mo as a “really inspiring” role model following the revelations and reflections on his own experience of “running away” from Iraq when I was a child. . Similarly, Mayor of London Sadiq Khan tweeted in support of the Olympian.
“Everything that Sir Mo is alive proves he is not only one of our greatest Olympic athletes but a truly great Englishman,” he said.
After the shock announcement, Sir Mo said he was “really proud” of the documentary that made it possible for him to “answer and learn more” about his past and his journey to Britain.
Real Mo Farah will air at 6am on BBC iPlayer and 9pm on BBC One on July 13.
https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/sir-mo-farah-relieved-that-uk-home-office-will-take-no-action-against-him-41835893.html Sir Mo Farah is ‘relieved’ that the UK Home Office will not take action against him