Ofcom has launched an investigation after Sky News incorrectly described the protests against the death of Chris Kaba as crowds paying tribute to the Queen.
The broadcasting watchdog said 598 viewers complained after presenter Sarah-Jane Mee identified crowds moving through central London as mourners of the royal family.
The event on Saturday 10 September saw hundreds of people come to support the family of Mr Kaba, who was shot dead by armed Metropolitan Police officers in south London.
Rapper Stormzy and Labor MP Hackney Diane Abbott were also present at the event in the capital, which saw supporters carry signs saying “Justice for Chris Kaba” and “Black Lives Matter”.
An Ofcom spokesman said: “We are investigating whether this program violated our rules, which require news to be reported with appropriate accuracy.”
After airing earlier this month, Mee issued an apology on Twitter.
She wrote: “I made the mistake of broadcasting, I misidentified the crowd at Trafalgar Sq as some of the 1000 people heading to the Palace when at that moment everyone turned for Chris Kaba.
“I want to personally apologize to those involved. We will cover the march and what it means later today. “
Mr Kaba, 24, was killed on September 5 after police chased his car, ending up in Streatham Hill, south London.
The Audi he was driving was hit by two police cars inside Kirkstall Gardens, a narrow residential street, and one round was shot with a police weapon.
Video of the day
The Metropolitan Police involved have been suspended by force and the Independent Office of Police Conduct (IOPC) is investigating.
Sky News has been contacted for comment.
https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/sky-news-faces-ofcom-probe-after-chris-kaba-protest-mistaken-for-royal-mourners-42017284.html Sky News to face Ofcom investigation after Chris Kaba protest was mistaken for royal sender