Sligo’s father, who was killed after an argument at summer camp, has been the target of CAB and NCA investigations


The family of a Sligo father of six who was killed after an argument at a holiday camp in London said they are leaving “heartbroken and with unanswered questions”.

Ichael McDonagh, 53, who lived in London with his family, was pronounced dead last weekend after an altercation between a group of people at Camber Sands holiday park on Lydd Road, near the East Sussex border.

McDonagh, who had once been the target of a CAB investigation here in Ireland and the National Crime Agency in Britain, was described as a man who was “the center of our world and the life and soul of every party”.

“On Saturday morning we found out that we had lost our father,” said a family member. “Michael was a loving and supportive husband and father of six for 32 years who was taken from us while on a family vacation.

“His family meant everything to him. He came away to make memories with his wife and children and instead we walk away heartbroken and with unanswered questions.

“It’s impossible to put into words how we all feel. Our father was the center of our world and the life and soul of every party.”

In 2000, the Criminal Assets Bureau successfully seized McDonagh’s house near Ballintogher, Sligo after proving in court that it had been bought with proceeds of crime.

Soon after, Mr McDonagh left Ireland and returned, staying in local hotels with his family.

He was also on the radar of the UK’s National Crime Agency and was arrested in Amsterdam, Holland in November 2010 and extradited to the UK on an international warrant.

He was subsequently sentenced to seven years in prison for drug trafficking.

Police have since arrested a seventh person in connection with his death.

Six people quickly arrested by police on suspicion of murder have now all been released on conditional bail.

A spokesman for Sussex Police said those arrested were all between the ages of 18 and 43 and all from the Kent/Sussex area.

As a result of further investigations, a seventh person was arrested on suspicion of murder and also released on bail.

The incident that led to his death happened last Friday night. It was reported that Michael was being held down by several men, claiming he could not breathe.

He is said to have gotten in line after watching the opening Premier League game between Crystal Palace and Arsenal.

Detective Chief Inspector Emma Vickers, of the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team, said: “Our investigation is at a very early stage but I would like to reassure the public that this appears to be an isolated case with no major risk of harm.

“Officials are now working to establish the full circumstances, while the victim’s relatives are being assisted by specialized officers.”

Det Insp Vickers said a complex and rapid investigation is underway to determine exactly what happened and identify those responsible.

She expressed her condolences to Michael’s family, many of whom live in the town of Sligo.

Parkdean, who runs the resort, told local people that a “serious incident” has taken place and a “live police investigation” is active.

The message, which was sent to customers, reads: “We would like to draw your attention to the fact that a serious incident occurred in our complex area last night.

“As this is a live police investigation, our team is doing everything we can to assist in your investigation. Please note that you cannot comment on this incident.” Sligo’s father, who was killed after an argument at summer camp, has been the target of CAB and NCA investigations

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button