Steven Gerrard faces the wrath of Aston Villa fans after dismal defeat by Fulham

Fulham returned to winning ways with a 3-0 win over 10-man Aston Villa to put more pressure on the under-fire manager Steven Gerrard.

Villa started the game outside of the relegation zone on goal difference alone, having won just two games this season.

And they faced yet another defeat at the hands of a dominant Fulham side, with the visitors booed at half-time and after the final whistle by their own fans.

Fulham – without a win in three games before Thursday – had started brilliantly and were rewarded for their early pressure in the 36th minute when Harrison Reed fired in from the edge of the box.

Douglas Luiz was shown a red card after a VAR check of a minor altercation with Aleksandar Mitrovic in the second half and Fulham dominated thereafter.

A Matty Cash handball resulted in a penalty for the hosts, which the Serbian striker converted before Tyrone Mings put the ball in his own net for Fulham’s third.

Willian had Fulham’s first significant chance of the game in the fourth minute as the home side started brilliantly, but his shot went straight to Emiliano Martinez.

Mitrovic was then skillfully brought into the penalty area with a long ball, but nodded over the bar.

Fulham looked even closer as Andreas Pereira fired wide after being caught by a Willian corner. Martinez had to dive deep to thwart Mitrovic from the following corner – an attempt blocked by Mings on the line.

Martinez had to be alert again in the 33rd minute to land behind a curved low try from Willian but despite their possession and chances, Fulham had been unable to find the breakthrough.

In the 36th minute, Villa failed to clear a corner and the ball fell to Reed on the edge of the box. The midfielder made no mistake and took a touch before firing past Martinez.

(Getty Images)

Villa had their first real chance of the game just before half-time when Bernd Leno lost the ball up high and Issa Diop had to block Ollie Watkins’ follow-up shot on the line.

The second half started a little more evenly with both sides creating chances, although the Cottagers continued to look more dangerous.

Things got even worse for Villa and boss Gerrard in the 63rd minute when Luiz was controversially sent off after a VAR review.

Luiz and Mitrovic had grappled with a small contact between them but the Villa player was shown a red card for the altercation.

Cash’s handball in the box opened the door for Fulham to score their second goal shortly after.

The Villa defender blocked the ball on his own arm after a Mitrovic shot and referee Michael Oliver immediately pointed to the penalty spot.

The number nine from Fulham took his chance and scored his eighth goal of the season.

Fulham finished the goal and put the result beyond doubt when Mings turned a ball from Neeskens Kebano across the box and into his own net. Steven Gerrard faces the wrath of Aston Villa fans after dismal defeat by Fulham

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button