String of Will Smith is filming CANCELED after beating Chris Rock at the Oscars
Will Smith shocked Hollywood last weekend when he slapped Chris Rock live on stage after a joke at the Oscars. Netflix and Sony have reportedly put their plans to make movies with the actor on hold.
Video not available
A number of Will Smith projects could be canceled after the actor’s violent outburst at the Oscars, with a number of his upcoming films being quietly shelved.
The 53-year-old actor stunned Hollywood last weekend when he stormed the Oscars stage and punched Chris Rock after making an ill-considered joke about the actor’s wife, Jada Pinkett-Smith.
The suspense didn’t end there, however, as Will returned to his seat and repeatedly yelled, “Keep my wife’s name out of your friggin’ mouth!” as the astonished A-list audience watched in shock.
Will has since apologized to Chris via social media and announced on Saturday that he has resigned from his position as a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
However, a number of film projects are said to have stalled in the face of Will’s violent actions, which have drawn divided opinion and headlines around the world.
The Hollywood Reporter claims a Netflix film called Fast and Loose and Star Will has been shelved amid the scandal.
The film was originally set to be directed by David Leitch, but he pulled out of the project a week before the Oscars, sending Netflix on a frantic search for a replacement.
AFP via Getty Images)
But now, in the face of Will’s hit-and-run actions, the outlet reports, “Shortly after Smith’s attack on Chris Rock on the Oscars stage, Netflix quietly shelved the project.”
The film was supposed to tell the story of a crime boss who loses his memory and then tries to rebuild his life – but the outlet adds: “It seems Netflix has been understandably cautious about moving forward. It’s unclear if it will attempt to do the project with a different star and director.”
TMZ also suggests that Will’s other Netflix projects, namely The Council and Bright 2, could also be trashed as a result of his violent actions.
Will’s outburst has also rocked Apple+, who are deep in post-production on an emancipation drama that tells the story of a runaway slave on a Louisiana plantation.
The film had already been tipped to secure Will a second Best Actor Oscar nomination, but the Hollywood Reporter now claims, “The streamer had planned a debut for 2022 but has not yet dated its release.”
It is also claimed that Bad Boys 4, which was in active development at Sony and which Will “had received 40 pages of the script before the Oscars,” has now been put on “hiatus” as the impact of Will’s actions continues.
TMZ adds, “There are other Sony-linked films of his (either as a producer or an actor) that could face the same fate, including a Hancock sequel and a Karate Kid sequel.
“He’s got a production company now… so not only does he act in films, but he’s been very involved in the production lately.”
In a statement released on Saturday, Will said: “I have betrayed the Academy’s trust. I deprived other nominees and winners of the opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am devastated.”
“As such, I resign my membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and will accept any further consequences that the board deems appropriate.”
The academy, meanwhile, has said it is continuing to investigate the drama that unfolded at the awards ceremony – and Will may yet be stripped of his gong for Best Actor, which he secured for his performance as Richard Williams in the biopic King Richard.
Do you have a story to sell? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us directly on 0207 29 33033.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/string-smith-films-cancelled-following-26622170 String of Will Smith is filming CANCELED after beating Chris Rock at the Oscars