Sussex Fire Brigade calls for picnics instead of BBQs after fires

Firefighters are urging people to have picnics instead of barbecues after a spate of blazes during the heatwave.

Several grass fires across Britain have been traced to barbecues left in rural areas after use, and people have flocked to the countryside and beach to soak up the sun.

The East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service has urged residents and visitors to be safe when barbecuing in public.

“The hot weather is getting us all to enjoy country walks, but please don’t barbecue, have a picnic instead and take your rubbish home,” said an ESFR spokesman.

The Argus: A rubbish bin was badly damaged after a fire near the beach in Hove on Sunday 10th JulyA rubbish bin was badly damaged after a fire near the beach in Hove on Sunday July 10th

At around 6.30pm on Sunday 10 July a fire engine and crew were sighted on the beach in Hove putting out a rubbish bin.

A similar warning was issued by Surrey Fire and Rescue Service, which urged locals to avoid BBQs and instead “pack a picnic if you’re out”.

The National Fire Chiefs Council advises people never to leave grills unattended and to place disposable grills on level surfaces and away from sheds, trees and shrubs.

The Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service added: “Hot weather is getting us all to enjoy country walks, do us a favour… Don’t bbq! Disposable grills are a big cause of wildfires.”

On Sunday, Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue crews were called to the scene of a grassy bush fire caused by discarded disposable barbecues, while Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service said it had “already taken part in ten outdoor fires across the area” on Sunday afternoon.

On the same day, as temperatures reached 30C in parts of the UK, Hertfordshire Fire Brigade said firefighters had been called to a blaze caused by a disposable BBQ that was “smoldering in the park” in Hoddesdon.

On Saturday, Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said crews had been called to put out a rubbish fire caused by the careless disposal of a barbecue, while Dorset Fire Brigade was mobilized to deal with a “small fire” in extinguishing Hengistbury Head, with firefighters warning barbecues were not allowed at the beauty site.

The Argus: Firefighters attend to rubbish bin in Madeira Drive, Brighton in July 2021Firefighters deal with a rubbish bin fire in Madeira Drive, Brighton in July 2021

Last year, beachgoers were urged to be extra careful when lighting barbecues and bonfires after three fires in Brighton within two hours.

Firefighters were first called to a rubbish bin fire on Brighton Pier before getting involved in fires in Madeira Drive and Romsey Close.

The ESFR spokesman urged beachgoers and those enjoying the warm weather to think about where to dispose of their barbecue before lighting it.

“The East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is asking people to take extra care when having barbecues, bonfires and putting anything in bins that could start a fire,” he said.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/20272116.sussex-fire-service-calls-picnics-instead-bbqs-blazes/?ref=rss Sussex Fire Brigade calls for picnics instead of BBQs after fires

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button