A family in Dorset were too scared to approach the 4ft long striped reptile, which eats rodents and small mammals, and took to social media for help and advice on what to do
Video not available
A family has been “petrified” after an aggressive 4ft bull snake slithered into a garden shed in Dorset as they took to social media to appeal for help.
The bull snake, a large species native to America, escaped from its home and ended up in Helen Martin’s back garden in Sherborne, Dorset.
Husband Lee Martin spotted the snake slithering on the patio and deck before taking refuge in the shed.
Helen, 35, said she feared for the safety of her dog and five-year-old son Alfie during the ordeal.
The couple were too scared to approach the 4ft long striped reptile, which eats rodents and small mammals, so decided to make a request on social media asking for help and advice on what to do.
After receiving advice and help at their request on social media, a local herpetologist came and managed to capture the snake two hours later and put it in a plastic box.
Although non-venomous bull snakes have been known to show aggression toward humans.
And when faced with danger, they rear up and snarl at their opponent before pouncing.
She said: “My husband was taking out the trash when he heard a hiss.
“He turned and there was a snake a few feet away.
“He couldn’t believe it and took the camera and sent me a video when I was at work at the time.
“When I got home it was on the patio and then slid into the shed.
“I’m absolutely petrified of snakes, so this was my worst nightmare.
“I made my husband open the shed door because I needed to know she was still in there.
“I went to Facebook to find out what kind of snake it was. Most people said it was a grass snake, so when I called the RSPCA they didn’t want to know. Neither do the local vets.
“I couldn’t relax because I knew there was a snake in my yard and it needed to be removed. We have a dog and a child so we couldn’t let them out.
“Eventually a local snake expert contacted me to say they could come and catch them. But they said it wasn’t a grass snake and it wasn’t native.
“They went through every corner of the shed and found him in the back under a blanket we had kept there.
“They caught the snake in a pillowcase and then identified it as a bull snake. They took her home safely.
“I’m still traumatized and don’t think I can ever face going back into my shed.
“I’m just lucky that my husband spotted it and the dog or our son didn’t find it.”
The Mirror’s newsletter brings you the latest news, exciting showbiz and TV stories, sports updates and important political information.
The newsletter is sent by e-mail first thing in the morning at 12 noon and first thing in the evening.
Don’t miss a moment by subscribing to our newsletter here.
Bullsnakes are intimidating as they can wrap themselves around their prey and choke them and rapidly vibrate their tails.
Their food choices are often mammals such as mice, moles, rats, squirrels and birds, but they have even been known to eat other snakes such as rattlesnakes.
Often confused with rattlesnakes due to their similar coloration, they both adopt an S-shaped posture before striking.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/terrifying-moment-bullsnake-known-eat-26708313 Terrifying Moment A bull snake known to eat rattlesnakes confronts an unsuspecting family