The 21-year-old man died of blood poisoning the day after he was discharged from hospital, the High Court said

A 21-year-old man died of blood poisoning after being discharged from a hospital emergency room the previous day when he presented with a headache and vomiting, the Supreme Court heard.

Adam Mulchrone’s family settled a lawsuit over his death on Wednesday.

As the court heard, Adam Mulchrone was deteriorating by the hour, and when he returned to Mayo University Hospital he was in irreversible health and died within 12 hours.

On Wednesday, his family settled a lawsuit over his death.

A later investigation of his death found the cause of death to be multiorgan failure due to or secondary to meningococcal sepsis with Neisseria meningitis infection as the antecedent cause.

The Mulchrone family’s attorney, Des O’Neill SC, told the court on Wednesday that Adam, who fell ill during football practice, was referred to Mayo University Hospital by a GP the day before his death, due to possible likelihood of meningitis.

The attorney said he was evaluated after waiting in the emergency room but was released four hours later without a second evaluation of his case.

Adam, the attorney said, was “worsening by the hour” and returned to the hospital seven hours later in a “state of health that could not be reversed.”

He died within 12 hours of his return.

It was the Mulchrone’s case that if Adam were admitted for IV fluids and antibiotics following the initial hospital visit at 3:16pm on January 26, 2019, in all likelihood Adam would have survived.

The Mulchrones have settled a number of lawsuits against the HSE over Adam’s death and nerve shock. The terms of the settlement reached after mediation are confidential.

In approving the settlement, Judge Paul Coffey expressed his deepest sympathy to Adam’s parents, Paul and Mary, and the Mulchrone family.

Mr O’Neill said the hospital had sent a letter to the Mulchrone family apologizing and acknowledging liability in the case.

In the letter sent out in October last year, the hospital said it wanted to offer its sincere condolences following Adam’s tragic and untimely death.

“The loss of Adam to you as a family is immeasurable and I know it will affect you all as individuals and as a family for life.

“Adam’s death is deeply regretted by all the staff and management of the hospital, particularly those involved in his care in the emergency department and later in the intensive care unit,” it said.

It added: “While we cannot fully understand the enduring impact this loss has had on your family, we sincerely regret the pain and suffering caused. We apologize unreservedly for the shortcomings in the care of Adam.”

The letter also stated that what was learned from Adam’s case would continue to be addressed by the hospital’s emergency department.

Mary Mulchrone of Sandyhill, Westport, Co. Mayo had sued the HSE.

On the morning of January 26, 2019, Adam had attended a soccer practice but had returned home because he was not feeling well.

He had a headache and his temperature started to rise. A family doctor advised him to take him to Mayo University Hospital as it was an emergency.

He was examined at the hospital and found to have abdominal pain, vomiting and chills. During an inquest, it was claimed his sister noticed bright red spots on her brother’s neck flare up and fade. It was claimed that this happened several times and that the family told the doctor.

Adam complained of stiffness in his neck and the doctor looked into his mouth and felt his maxillary sinus and neck but said Adam could go home.

When the family got home, Adam immediately became nauseous and his temperature rose. His condition worsened in the early hours of the morning and he had what appeared to be small red bumps on his back.

The family took Adam back to the hospital where he was examined at 5am. It was found that he had a rash all over his body and his neck was very stiff. The working diagnosis was acute bacterial meningitis.

There were further investigations, but Adam’s condition continued to deteriorate with progressive renal, respiratory and multi-organ failure.

He was intubated but died at 4:42 p.m. on January 27 from meningococcal sepsis, a bloodstream infection. The 21-year-old man died of blood poisoning the day after he was discharged from hospital, the High Court said

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button