Britons are crazy about fish and chips, and eat almost 400 million servings of these every year. Now the tastiest chicks have been revealed using thousands of secret diners
Image: Huddersfield Examiner)
Britain’s best fish and chips takeaways and restaurants have taken the throne – and the full list has been revealed.
Fish and chips is a food synonymous with Britain and consumers spend more than £1 billion a year on it – 382 million servings.
Fish and chips were first served together at takeout shops in 1860 but there is some controversy as to who came up with the first idea – the Malins of London or the Lees of Mossley, Manchester.
Now, the best stores have been named in the latest Fry Awards.
There is no overall winner, for the top must-knows and restaurant have been lumped together.
The Fry Prize has sent thousands of mystery diners to fish and chip shops across the UK.
The judges scored each location on food quality, cleanliness, staff knowledge and professionalism – as well as other factors like social media presence.
Is your local fish and chip shop listed? Let us know in the comments section below
Getty Images / iStockphoto)
Then they put together a list of the 50 best eateries and 10 sit-down restaurants.
Winning dishes must score 96% or higher and restaurants must score 95% or higher.
Check to see if your local chippy is on these lists:
50 Best Fish & Chips
- Alrewas Fryer, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire
- Auckley Friery, Doncaster, South Yorkshire
- Burnham Fish and Chips, Slough, Surrey
- Callaway’s Fish & Chips, Dorchester, Dorset
- East Coast, Musselburgh, East Lothian
- Catch Fish & Chips, Ashford, Kent
- Chips @ No.8, Prestwich, Greater Manchester
- Churchill’s Fish & Chips, Langney, Eastbourne
- Cods and Rockers, Tadley, Hampshire
- Croft Street Fishing, Leeds, Yorkshire
- Davenport’s Fish & Chips, Louth, Lincolnshire
- David’s Fish & Chips, Brixham, Devon
- DJ’s Fish and Chips, Paignton, Devon
- Dunkeld Fish Bar, Dunkeld, Perthshire
- Eric’s Fish & Chips, King’s Lynn, Norfolk
- Fiddlers Elbow Fish & Chips, Leintwardine, HerefordshireFish ‘n’ Fritz, Weymouth, Dorset
- Fish Kitchen 1854, Maesycwmmer, Monmouthshire
- Fochabers Fish Bar, Fochabers, Moray
- Frydays of Kendal, Kendal, Cumbria
- Garioch Fish Bar, Inverurie, Aberdeenshire
- Greg & Lou’s, Redruth, Cornwall
- The Little Chippy, Tyldesley, Manchester
- Heavenly On The Go, Crosby, Cumbria
- Hikary’s Fish Bar, Neath, West Glamorgan
- Hiks, Brynhyfryd, Swansea
- Hill Top Village Fishing, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
- Howe & Co Van 19, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
- Howe & Co Van 22, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
- Howe & Co Van 66, Granborough, Buckinghamshire
- Land & Sea, Sowerby, North Yorkshire
- Traditional Low’s Fish & Chips – Berryden, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire
- Marina Fish and Chips, Chapel St. Leonards, Lincolnshire
- Market Hill Fish, Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire
- Moore’s Fish & Chips, Castle Douglas, Dumfries and Galloway
- My Place Fish & Chips, Gorleston-on-Sea, Norfolk
- Port Chippy, Amlwch, Anglesey
- Fish and chips Priory Place, Ulverston, Cumbria
- Shap Chippy Mobile, Appleby, Cumbria
- St John’s Fish Bar, Warwick, Warwickshire
- The Cafe Royal, Annan, Dumfries and Galloway
- Chippie Van, Penrith, Cumbria
- The Chippy, Dartford, Kent
- The Codfather, Northwich, Cheshire
- The Esk Cafe, Longtown, Cumbria
- Fish in Goose Green, Wigan, Greater Manchester
- Fish Bank, Sherburn in Elmet, Leeds, West Yorkshire
- The Fish Works, Largs, North Ayrshire
- The Golden Fry, Benllech, Anglesey
- The Lincolnshire Fryer, Market Rasen, Lincolnshire
- Oyster Shell, Bathtub, Somerset
- The Place To Be, Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire
- Fish & Chips Village, Orpington, Kent
- Tony’s Fish and Chips, Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire
- Towngate Seafood, Idle, West Yorkshire
- Yan’s Fish Bar, Cardiff
- 10 best fish & chip restaurants
- Catch Fish and Chips West End, Glasgow
- Chipmongers, Portstewart, County Londonderry
- Eric’s Fish & Chips, King’s Lynn, Norfolk
- Fish City, Belfast
- Fisherman’s Bay, Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
- Fish ‘n’ Fritz, Weymouth, Dorset
- Harlees, Westbury, Wiltshire
- Harbor & starboard, Indian Queens, Cornwall
- Cod’s Scallops, Market Harborough, Leicestershire
- What The Fish, London
Reece Head, organizer of the Fry Awards said: We are delighted to announce this year’s winners. The award recognizes and celebrates the hard work, passion and dedication these operators have put into running their businesses.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/uks-60-best-fish-chip-26441522 The 60 best UK fish and chip shops revealed - see if yours is on the list