There’s nothing worse than disappointing fish and chips, so here’s a list of the top 50 plaice to eat on National Fish and Chip Day
It’s an annual event, and many of us may even know we celebrate it – but today is officially National Fish & Chips Day.
For many Brits, there doesn’t need to be a special day on the calendar to celebrate.
Thousands of us will be tucking into a hearty helping of fish and chips tonight – with mushy peas on the side, of course.
Luckily, they’re a national favorite, with thousands of outlets across the country ready to satisfy that craving.
But is the place you are visiting good?
We have all encountered disappointing fish and chips and have no desire to do so again.
Get the news you want straight to your inbox. Sign up for a Mirror newsletter here
That’s why, in honor of the national holiday, we’ve rounded up the country’s best chippies, previously recognized at the Fry Awards for 2022.
The important research involved thousands of Mystery Diners sampling fish and chips from across the UK to find the top 50 takeaways and restaurants.
Judges made unannounced visits and spent months sampling the fare, checking how clean the premises were, and questioning employees to make sure they knew their stuff.
There was a total of 100 marks to be won, whereby the winning snack bars had to achieve 96% or more in order to be awarded, the restaurants 95% or more.
There is no overall winner as the best venues have been combined into a single list.
Reece Head, organizer of the competition, said: “We are very pleased to announce this year’s winners.
“The awards recognize and celebrate the hard work, passion and dedication these operators put into running their businesses.
“It’s been a tough few years for the industry, particularly for restaurants that have struggled with closures, but operators have continued to adapt, motivating their staff and investing in new equipment and systems that have pushed them to the other side stronger and in a better position.
“Our 50 best bring away and the Top 10 Restaurant winners truly represent the best in the business and continue to showcase fish and chips as a high quality, value for money meal.”
The winners, in alphabetical order, for the UK’s top 10 fish and chip restaurants are:
- Catch Fish and Chips West End, Glasgow
- Chipmonger, Portstewart, County Londonderry
- Eric’s Fish & Chips, King’s Lynn, Norfolk
- Fishtown, Belfast
- Fisherman’s Bay, Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
- Fish ‘n’ Fritz, Weymouth, Dorset
- Harlee, Westbury, Wiltshire
- Port and Starboard, Indian Queens, Cornwall
- Cod’s Scallops, Market Harborough, Leicestershire
- What the Fish, London
Where are the best chippies in the UK?
The winners, listed in alphabetical order, for the UK’s top 50 fish and chip takeaways are:
- Alrewas Fryer, Burton on Trent, Staffordshire
- Auckley Friery, Doncaster, South Yorkshire
- Burnham Fish and Chips, Slough, Surrey
- Callaway’s Fish & Chips, Dorchester, Dorset
- East Coast, Musselburgh, East Lothian
- Catch Fish & Chips, Ashford, Kent
- Chips @ No 8, Prestwich, Greater Manchester
- Churchill’s Fish & Chips, Langney, Eastbourne
- Cod and Rockers, Tadley, Hampshire
- Croft Street Fisheries, Leeds, Yorkshire
- Davenport’s Fish & Chips, Louth, Lincolnshire
- David’s Fish & Chips, Brixham, Devon
- DJ’s Fish and Chips, Paignton, Devon
- Dunkeld Fish Bar, Dunkeld, Perthshire
- Eric’s Fish & Chips, King’s Lynn, Norfolk
- Fiddlers Elbow Fish & Chips, Leintwardine, Herefordshire Fish ‘n’ Fritz, Weymouth, Dorset
- Fish Kitchen 1854, Maesycwmmer, Monmouthshire
- Fochabers fish bar, Fochabers, moray eel
- Fridays from Kendal, Kendal, Cumbria
- Garioch Fish Bar, Inverurie, Aberdeenshire
- Greg & Lou’s, Redruth, Cornwall
- Little Chippy, Tyldesley, Manchester
- Heavenly Road, Crosby, Cumbria
- Hikary’s Fish Bar, Neath, West Glamorgan
- Walks, Brynhyfryd, Swansea
- Hill Top Village Fisheries, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
- Howe & Co Van 19, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
- Howe & Co Van 22, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
- Howe & Co Van 66, Granborough, Buckinghamshire
- Land & Sea, Sowerby, North Yorkshire
- Low’s Traditional Fish & Chips – Berryden, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire
- Marina Fish and Chips, St Leonard’s Chapel, Lincolnshire
- Market Hill Fisheries, Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire
- Moore’s Fish & Chips, Castle Douglas, Dumfries and Galloway
- My Plaice Fish & Chips, Gorleston-on-Sea, Norfolk
- Port Chippy, Amlwch, Anglesey
- Priory Plaice Fish and Chips, Ulverston, Cumbria
- Shappy Chippy Mobile, Appleby, Cumbria
- St. John’s Fish Bar, Warwick, Warwickshire
- The Cafe Royal, Annan, Dumfries and Galloway
- The Chippie Van, Penrith, Cumbria
- The Chippy, Dartford, Kent
- The Codfather, Northwich, Cheshire
- The Esk Cafe, Longtown, Cumbria
- The Fish at Goose Green, Wigan, Greater Manchester
- The Fish Bank, Sherburn in Elmet, Leeds, West Yorkshire
- The Fishworks, Largs, North Ayrshire
- The Golden Fry, Benllech, Anglesey
- The Lincolnshire Fryer, Market Lawn, Lincolnshire
- The Oyster Shell, Bath, Somerset
- The Floe to be, Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire
- The Village Fish & Chips, Orpington, Kent
- Tony’s Fish and Chips, Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire
- Towngate Fisheries, Idle, West Yorkshire
- Yan’s Fish Bar, Cardiff
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/best-fish-chip-shops-2022-27083221 The best fish and chip places for 2022 - find out if yours is on the list