A 16-year-old boy accused of murdering a mother of two, who was stabbed to death on her way home from work, will face a second charge in the Central Criminal Court later this year.
The boy, who cannot be identified because he is a minor, is charged with the murder of Urantsetseg Tserendorj on January 20, 2021.
Ms Tserendorj, a Mongolian national who lived in Dublin for several years, died at Mater Hospital two weeks after being stabbed to death on a walkway between George’s Dock and Custom House Quay at the IFSC in Dublin. She was on her way home from work at 9:30 p.m. when the stabbing took place.
Earlier this month, a Central Criminal Court jury failed to reach a verdict in the teenager’s first trial.
Defense Attorney Mark Lynam BL told Judge Paul McDermott today that there was a jury disagreement in the case at the end of the last term. He said both sides had held talks and proposed a date towards the end of October for the boy’s retrial.
Mr Lynam said there was “an urgency” for the retrial to be retried as his client was a juvenile, although the boy would be taken into custody having already pleaded guilty to manslaughter. The case also requires a “fade factor” for the public, he added.
Earlier this month, the defendant pleaded not guilty to the murder of Ms Tserendorj, but to manslaughter on January 29, 2021. The state did not accept his plea. He also pleaded guilty to producing a knife and attempting to rob Ms. Tserendorj.
Mr Justice McDermott set October 24, 2022 as the date for the teenager’s retrial before a jury at the Central Criminal Court.
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/boy-16-accused-of-murder-of-mother-of-two-will-go-on-trial-for-second-time-later-this-year-41585360.html The boy, 16, accused of murdering a mother of two will face a second trial later this year