As the cost of living crisis continues, the lowest-priced supermarket has been named German discounter Lidl, closely followed by Asda, for anyone looking to buy an average basket of items.
Photo: AFP via Getty Images)
A regular basket of 33 items cost £53.06 at Lidl last week, compared with £60.19 at Asda.
The same 33 goods will cost £63.26 at Sainsbury’s, £64.55 at Tesco, £72.73 at Morrisons and £85.40 at Waitrose, The Grocer reports.
However, Lidl’s shopping cart still costs 4.5 per cent more than it did a year ago, or £2.31.
That is due to rising inflation, currently 5.5%.
Food prices are rising at near-record levels as cost of living crisis bites, according to recent data.
Kantar, where prices are recorded, says Inflation in February was 4.3%with prices of salty snacks, fresh beef and cat food rising fastest, while prices of bacon, beer, wine and spirits fell.
However, Lidl comes in second last when it comes to operations.
The discount supermarket received a score of 65/100 for this, beaten only by Morrisons at 58/100.
The top supermarket for service was Asda, with 85/100, followed by Waitrose (77/100), Tesco (75/100) and Sainsbury’s (72/100).
The full list of the 33 items used to calculate the cheapest supermarket is:
- Pink Apple (6 packs)
- Private label dried apricots
- Aquafresh toothpaste for young teeth (3-5 years old)
- Private label baby potatoes
- Private label of sliced beetroot
- Black Sheep ale bottle 500ml
- Carrots have their own organic label
- Private label premium chocolate cake
- Genuine Coca-Cola 1.25l bottle
- Domestos Original Thickener 750g
- Double Gloucester Cheese Private Label 250g
- Medium longan egg noodles 250g
- Private label eggs, free large pack of 12
- Private label steak fillet, premium, 170g
- Private label Greek yogurt with honey
- Chilled ham and tagliatelle mushrooms 400g
- Hartley’s orange jelly 135g
What is your favorite supermarket? Let us know in the comments section below
- Private label instant coffee, yellow, 200g
- McVities Club orange biscuits
- Private label skim milk 1,136ml
- Mr Kipling Apple Pies bramley six pack
- Nurofen 16 sachets 200mg
- Smooth longan orange from one liter concentrate
- Parsnips private label 500g
- Longan chili peanuts 200g
- Frozen longan peas 1kg
- PG pyramid tip 240 bags 696g
- Private label pulled pork, with smoky BBQ sauce
- Longan spinach 260g
- Private label toffee sponge pudding 2x110g
- Cold Tortilla Chips 200g
- Oxi Advance Crystal White stain remover, 1.5kg
- Private label white toastie, sliced 800g
Grocer usually includes Aldi, Iceland, Amazon, M&S and Ocado in its price test, but not this time.
Lidl also Vote as the cheapest supermarket by which consumer group? in its own rankings last month.
How to check monthly price? compared to the cost of 23 essential items Private brand included and items like 28-day Hovis bread – to reveal that month’s cheapest groceries.
It found that, on average, shoppers will pay £24.21 at Lidl.
It beats discount rival Aldi by just 62p. Meanwhile, the most expensive supermarket £9.50 more expensive than Lidl for a comparable grocery cart.
Grocery stores with some of the biggest price differences include PG Tips tea bags, the £1.52 difference between Lidl and Waitroseand private label seedless grapes, £1.41 difference.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/cheapest-supermarket-march-named-lidl-26483860 The cheapest supermarket in March named Lidl, Asda and three other grocery stores compared