The jury in Ryan Gigg’s trial reached no verdict after nearly 23 hours of deliberation

The jury deliberating Ryan Giggs’ domestic violence trial at Manchester Crown Court has been dismissed after failing to reach a verdict on any of the three charges he faces.

The former Manchester United footballer has been accused of headbutting his former partner Kate Greville and assaulting her younger sister Emma Greville.

Mr Giggs denied the allegations and after a 10-day trial at Manchester Crown Court yesterday the jury told the judge it could not reach a verdict.

Judge Hilary Manley, after deliberating for more than 16 hours, told the jury that she could accept a majority verdict rather than a unanimous verdict.

Yesterday afternoon Judge Manley asked if they had reached a verdict on charges agreed by a 10 to 1 majority.

The jury foreman replied, “No.” When asked if there were “realistic prospects” of reaching a verdict with more time, the foreman again replied, “No.”

Judge Manley then thanked the jury and released them. She warned all jurors not to discuss the case as there could be another trial in the future.

Mr. Giggs did not respond during the brief hearing. The jury went out to consider verdicts for the first time late in the afternoon of August 23.

The 12-member jury was later reduced to 11 after one juror fell ill and was dismissed. They had deliberated for 22 hours and 59 minutes before being brought back to court at 3.04pm yesterday.

Lawyers must now consider the public interest in a retrial.

Mr Giggs’ head dropped as the judge told the court a future trial could potentially be away by June next year – but stressed a date has yet to be set.

She then informed him that he would be released on bail until prosecutors’ attorneys meet and make a decision on a future trial and a trial date is set.

Mr Giggs was excused from attending the next hearing in the same court on September 7th.

The former footballer had denied controlling or coercing behavior towards Ms Greville over a three-year period.

He also denied “losing control” and headbutting her and attacking her younger sister by elbowing her in the jaw during an argument at his home in Worsley, Greater Manchester on 2 November 2020. (© Independent News Service) The jury in Ryan Gigg’s trial reached no verdict after nearly 23 hours of deliberation

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button