The Sunday Times and The Mail on Sunday reported allegations of a “cash-for-honour” arrangement at the Prince’s Foundation last year, the charity having authorized an independent investigation and Mr. Fawcett has resigned as its chief executive.
Police said Wednesday that they have enough evidence to open a formal investigation into whether the institution violated a 1925 law banning the sale of degrees or other royal titles. It is using the same unit under investigation whether social gatherings at Downing Street violate coronavirus lockdown restrictions.
Royal experts say that if Scotland Yard uncovers evidence that Charles knew of a potential fraud, it would pose a serious risk to the 73-year-old heir to the throne. Even without Charles’s involvement, it could draw sharp attention to the aggressive methods of the prince’s lieutenants.
For the 95-year-old queen, the threat to Charles is, in a way, an even bigger headache than Andrew’s disgrace. With her own recent health problems and her Platinum Jubilee celebrations looming, she had to move to arrange family affairs. For instance, she stated recently that when Charles ascends the throne, his wife, Camilla, should be called queen.
But this week serves as a reminder of her fragility. On Wednesday, when two guests visiting Windsor Castle asked how she was, the queen, smiling and clutching a cane, beckoned to her feet, and said, “Well, as you can see, I can not move.”
Peter Hunt, a former royal correspondent for the BBC, said: “The clock is ticking. “They are trying their best to clear the way for Charles. Now, on that road suddenly scattered Michael Fawcett. ”
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/16/world/europe/andrew-prince-charles-charity.html The Queen’s Jubilee has only just begun, but the bad news isn’t over yet for the Royal Family