The widow’s last memory of her dying husband is of him lying on the street for hours ‘begging for help’

George Ian Stevenson, 86, was left in the freezing cold and rain by the roadside for four hours after he was hit by a car until an ambulance reached him.

George Ian Stevenson, 86 years old
George Ian Stevenson, 86, dies after being hit by a car

A widow has left one last heartbreaking memory of her dying husband as he lay on the street for hours waiting for an ambulance.

George Ian Stevenson, 86, was left by the roadside for four hours, cold and in pain after he was hit by a car shortly after 7:30 p.m. last Wednesday.

His family have said they were “heartbroken” to learn he lay “begging for help” by the roadside for hours before the ambulance finally arrived. North Wales Live Reported.

And the horrible image of him lying there was his wife Sylvia’s painful last memory of him.

Speaking to the BBC, relatives of heartbroken Mr Stevenson said the first 999 call was made at 7:31pm, but an ambulance didn’t arrive until 11.37pm.

That meant he was left in the freezing cold, rain and fog for just over four hours.

His niece told the BBC that he was “left there for four hours, begging for help, waiting for help. And it made us very sad.

Memories left for the beloved 86-year-old


Hadyn Iball / Daily Post Wales)

“A hard-working man who’s paid taxes all his life and put in a system that was let down when he needed them most, and I can’t fathom what happened to him.”

The 32-year-old said her grandfather remained conscious and in pain while he waited, but appeared to be fine.

But after the ambulance arrived, she said the person in charge, the truck driver and retired mechanic went into cardiac arrest and later died.

“The one thing that breaks my heart more than anything is knowing that by the time the ambulance arrives, will he still know?” she speaks.

The family, who lives a few miles from Wrexham Maelor Hospital, said the ambulance arrived from Dolgellau in Gwynedd, more than an hour away.

Welsh Ambulance Service is looking into the matter, but said at the time of the call all of its vehicles had been delivered to other patients.

The scene where the incident occurred


Hadyn Iball / Daily Post Wales)

Two paramedics on duty stopped to help, but were reluctant to move him in case they caused further injury.

His widow, Sylvia Stevenson, told the BBC she was “so sad to lose him like that” and added that he was “very healthy”.

“It makes me feel terrible,” she said.

“What the hell is going on with our country, the NHS? It’s North Wales [that] seems to be the worst place. ”

She said people were “waiting for hours” for an ambulance and “nobody came to them”.

Mr. Stevenson was described as a “peaceful person” who “loved his family life.”

Now the family is calling for more to be done to improve ambulance service and has even started a petition that has so far garnered nearly 5,000 signatures.

The family petition reads: “Ambulance waits are becoming a matter of life and death and something needs to be changed drastically, it happens all too often in North Wales.

“Medical staff work to help those most in need and they are being prevented from doing this because there are no ambulances and even when taking patients to the hospital, they have to wait in line outside because there is no such thing as an ambulance. There are beds for patients.

“We’re in 2022, there are people dying from ambulance waiting times and lack of beds. We need to do something together.”

Welsh Ambulance Service operations director Lee Brooks said they were working to establish the “full chain of events” and would be in contact with Mr Stevenson’s family.

“What we can say at this early stage is that at the time of this call, all of our ambulances have been taken to other patients in the community or at hospitals,” Mr Brooks said. hospital, where in particular the handover delay in north-east Wales. was difficult on the evening of 2 March.”

An investigation into Stevenson’s death opened on Monday and has been adjourned to an unspecified date.

The provisional cause of death was given as a serious chest wound from a road traffic collision.

North Wales Police have confirmed they have arrested the driver of the Citroen and that he has been released for questioning while investigations continue.

To sign the petition, click this .

Read more

Read more The widow's last memory of her dying husband is of him lying on the street for hours 'begging for help'

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button