Thousands of Britons may be lining up to be paid by DWP after housing benefit error

Affected people did not receive the maximum housing allowance they were entitled to, due to a separate issue related to paying less than the Employment Support Allowance (ESA).

Do you get housing allowance?
Do you get housing allowance?

Thousands of Britons could be due to pay from Department of employment and pensions (DWP) after being underpaid housing welfare.

Affected people did not receive the maximum housing allowance they were entitled to.

The error is due to a separate issue related to pay less Employment Support Allowance (ESA) occurs when some claimants switch from older benefits.

This may include people moving to ESA from Disability Benefit, Severe Disability Benefit or Income Assistance from 2011 onwards.

The ESA is a benefit designed to help people who are sick or disabled and is worth up to £74.70 a week.

If you claim the ESA, it means you will get the maximum housing benefit. How much housing allowance you can claim depends on your individual circumstances.

The DWP has identified approximately 22,500 cases of people who may have received less housing benefits than they were entitled to between 2011 and 2019 due to an ESA error.

Are you affected by this issue? Let us know:

The government says it has reviewed about 600,000 cases since 2016.

It has made 118,000 payments owed to those identified as underpaid by the ESA, totaling £613 million.

The amount awarded to affected claimants is what they should have been paid in the first place.

ESA claimants are owed £5,000 on average, but some people with severe disability premiums could be owed £11,500 each.

One woman has received almost £20,000 in refunds and has also successfully won compensation for the error above after taking her case to the Ombudsman.

For example, some claimants have missed out on premiums such as the enhanced disability premium, worth up to £24.60 per week.

The DWP says it is currently working with councils to identify people who may be eligible for lower paying housing benefits.

Councils will consider what factors are likely to be affected between now and the end of June.

A DWP spokesperson said: “As part of our exercise on underpaying the Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), we have notified the Local Government of any new and prior awards. ESA’s statement regarding income so that the Local Government can review the impacts on Housing Benefit and pay off any debts due. . ”

How to check if you have money due

DWP has reached out to claimants affected by the ESA underpayment error – this means you should have received a letter informing you of the investigation.

If you think you might be paid but have not been contacted, you can call the DWP on 0800 169 0346.

We asked the DWP what the average person who doesn’t receive the full housing benefit might be entitled to, and we’ll update this article as we get a response.

The amount you may have to pay depends on how long you underpaid.

Housing allowance is given to households that are having difficulty paying rent due to unemployment or low income.

How it is calculated is complicated. Housing benefits are usually calculated by adding a “personal allowance” – based on your age and living situation – and any additional “premium” you may be entitled to.

Your income and rental situation are then also taken into account, along with any dependents you live with, to arrive at the “applicable amount”.

Read more

Read more Thousands of Britons may be lining up to be paid by DWP after housing benefit error

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button