Eva Simpson says grieving Loose Women star Brenda Edwards gave us a horrifying reminder of how unpredictable and dangerous drugs are after her son Jamal died
When her beloved son Jamal died suddenly in February, Brenda Edwards went through the ordeal of sharing the devastating news with the world.
This week, the Loose Women star had to relive the pain publicly as she revealed how he died as she opened up about the inquest into his death.
I can’t imagine what Brenda is going through.
I can only admire her strength and courage as she shares, in her own words, her shock to discover the music entrepreneur died of an irregular heartbeat after using recreational drugs.
“I’ve been in a state of shock since learning the news and am still trying to process it,” Brenda said in a statement.
“But it’s important to me that I address it as no mother or loved one has to go through what Jamal’s sister Tanisha and I have been through since his death.”
She added, “If I can help save a life, then we’ve accomplished something.”
Jamal founded the hugely successful music platform SBTV which helped launch the careers of stars such as Ed Sheeran, rapper Dave and Jessie J.
He was also an author and Prince’s Trust Ambassador, receiving an MBE. He died at his mother’s home at the age of 31. As his mother said, he had the world at his fingertips.
But drugs meant his life was tragically cut short.
Drugs remain a threat and destroy lives. Not just for those who use them.
The whole industry is wreaking unspeakable destruction – especially on young people in the inner cities.
A report by the Children’s Society found that up to 46,000 children in England – some as young as six – were being exploited in county gangs, exploited and used to supply drugs across the country.
In 2020, drug-related deaths reached the highest level since records began in 1993. Data from the Office for National Statistics showed that there were 4,561 drug-related deaths in England and Wales, a 3.8% increase on the previous year.
Scotland has the worst drug death rate in Europe.
Like Brenda, I can only hope that her exploration of this issue will make people, especially young people, think twice about using drugs. Their son’s death was a terrifying reminder of how dangerous and unpredictable they are.
Jamal paid a terrible price.
It’s the wake-up call everyone needs – one bad decision can have truly devastating consequences.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/tragic-lessons-need-learnt-after-27182257 "Tragic lessons must be learned in the wake of the sudden death of Jamal Edwards" - Eva Simpson