Trump is trying to temporarily stop the FBI from reviewing Mar-a-Lago documents and is looking for a special master

Lawyers for former US President Donald Trump on Monday asked a federal judge to halt the FBI’s review of documents found at his Florida estate earlier this month until a neutral special foreman can be appointed to examine the records inspect.

The request was included in a federal lawsuit, the first filing by Trump’s legal team in the two weeks since the raid, which has a broad target on the FBI investigation into the discovery of classified records at Mar-a-Lago and preempts his attorneys’ arguments in the Course of the probe expected.

As the New York Times reported, since Trump left office, the administration has recovered more than 300 classified documents from Mar-a-Lago, including more than 150 retrieved from the National Archives in January — a number that helped has to trigger the criminal investigation.

The lawsuit describes the Aug. 8 search, in which the FBI said it found 11 sets of classified documents from Mar-a-Lago, as a “shockingly aggressive move.”

It also attacks the warrant as too broad, claims Trump is entitled to a more detailed description of the records seized from the home, and argues that the FBI and Justice Department have long treated him “unfairly.”

“Law enforcement is a shield protecting America. It cannot be used as a weapon for political purposes,” the lawyers wrote on Monday. “That is why we are seeking legal aid following an unprecedented and unnecessary raid on Mar-a-Lago.

In a separate statement, Trump said “ALL the documents were previously declassified” — although he has not provided any evidence to support that claim — and described the records as “illegally confiscated from my home.” – Sentence statement noting that the search was authorized by a federal judge after the FBI presented probable cause that a crime had been committed.

The filing calls for the appointment of a special supervisor, unrelated to the case, who would be tasked with inspecting the records seized from Mar-a-Lago and rescinding those falling under executive privilege – a policy empowering the President permitted to withhold certain communications from public disclosure.

In some other high-profile cases — including investigations into Rudy Giuliani and Michael Cohen, two of Trump’s personal attorneys — that role has been filled by a former judge.

“This matter has drawn the attention of the American public. Merely “reasonable” safeguards are unacceptable when the matter at hand involves not only President Trump’s constitutional rights but also the presumption of executive privilege,” the attorneys wrote.

The lawsuit argues that the records made during Trump’s tenure in the White House are “presumably privileged.”

But the Supreme Court has never ruled on whether a former president can assert executive privilege over documents, writing in January that the issue was unprecedented and raised “serious and significant concerns.”

The Supreme Court denied Trump’s request to block National Archives records for surrender to the Jan. 6 committee, saying at the time that his request would have been denied even if he had been the incumbent president, so there was no reason to tackle the thorny issue of a former president’s claims.

The lawsuit portrays Trump as “fully cooperative” and compliant with investigators, saying that members of his personal and household staff have been made available for voluntary interviews and citing him as speaking to FBI and Justice Department officials during of a visit to Mar-a-Lago in June said: “Whatever you need, just let us know.”

However, the chronology of events makes it clear that the search took place only after other means of recovering classified information from the apartment had been incomplete or unsuccessful.

For example, in May, weeks before the search, the Justice Department issued a subpoena for classified records.

The Trump team’s lawsuit was assigned to US District Judge Aileen M. Cannon, who was nominated by Trump in 2020 and confirmed 56-21 by the Senate later that year.

She is a former Assistant US Attorney in Florida and primarily handles criminal appeals.

The months-long investigation that became public with the Mar-a-Lago search stemmed from a referral from the National Archives, which earlier this year found 15 boxes containing documents and other items from the estate that should have been turned over to the agency when Trump left the White House.

An initial review of this material revealed that Trump had brought presidential records and several other documents marked as classified to Mar-a-Lago.

FBI and Justice Department officials visited Mar-a-Lago in June and asked to inspect a storage facility. A few weeks later, the Justice Department requested video footage from surveillance cameras at the property.

After the Mar-a-Lago meeting, investigators questioned another witness who told them there are likely other classified documents at the property, according to a person familiar with the investigation who was not authorized to speak publicly about it.

Separately, a federal judge on Monday conceded that redactions of an FBI affidavit setting out the basis for the search could be so extensive that the document would become “meaningless” if released to the public. But he said he still believes it shouldn’t remain completely sealed because of the “intense” public interest in the probe.

A written order from US Judge Bruce Reinhart largely repeats what he said in court last week when he ordered the Justice Department to propose redacting of information in the affidavit it wants to keep secret.

This fee is due on Thursday afternoon.

Justice Department officials have tried to keep the entire document sealed, saying disclosing any part of it could jeopardize an ongoing criminal investigation, reveal information about witnesses and reveal investigative techniques.

They advised the judge that the necessary redactions of the affidavit would be so numerous that they would strip the document of any essential information and render it virtually meaningless to the public.

Reinhart acknowledged that possibility in his order issued Monday, writing: “I cannot say at this time that partial redactions will be so extensive as to result in meaningless disclosure, but I can ultimately come to that conclusion after reading further.” heard information from the government.”

https://www.independent.ie/news/trump-tries-to-temporarily-block-fbi-reviewing-mar-a-lago-documents-and-seeks-special-master-41930431.html Trump is trying to temporarily stop the FBI from reviewing Mar-a-Lago documents and is looking for a special master

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button