Prince Harry was granted permission on Friday to legally challenge a government decision denying him police protection in the UK, and social media users have mixed opinions about it.
The Duke of Sussex was given the full police protection normally afforded to working members of the royal family before deciding to step down from royal duties and relocate to California with his wife Meghan Markle in 2020.
But the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (RAVEC) decided in February of that year to remove Prince Harry’s automatic right to police security while in the UK
On Friday, Judge Jonathan Swift granted Prince Harry permission to seek a judicial review of the RAVEC decision, according to legal documents obtained by People.
Following the judge’s decision, the case will now be heard in the High Court in London between Prince Harry and the UK government.
Royal fans took to Twitter to share their thoughts on the development, which People described as “an unprecedented situation in modern times”. Some congratulated Prince Harry, while others pointed out that it wasn’t a win yet and the Duke was only given a go-ahead to hear his case.
“I am pleased to hear that Prince Harry would be given a minimum of opportunity to present his case. … The royal family should never be part of or the party making decisions about Harry’s security details,” one person said tweeted.
“Thank you Jesus. Congratulations to Harry and his legal team,” said a Sussex supporter wrote.
“He didn’t ‘win’. The court has agreed it could go to the next level, but – and there is a BIG but – in the ruling there is a veiled warning to Harry to think carefully about moving forward with this case as he is more than likely to lose and pay ALL costs,” another commented.
“They didn’t really win anything. He was granted the right to a fair hearing, that’s all. I find him irritated, but he should have had that from the start,” another tweeted.
Earlier this month, Prince Harry’s lawyers applied to the High Court in London for authorization for a judicial review of the status of his UK government-funded security.
His attorneys said Prince Harry and Markle’s safety has since been handled on a “flexible case-by-case” basis. Prince Harry’s lawyer, Shaheed Fatima, told the court that “flexible sometimes doesn’t mean security”.
The lawyer also revealed that at the time of his split from his royal duties, Prince Harry believed RAVEC to be a fully independent committee and was unaware that Queen Elizabeth’s private secretary, Sir Edward Young, was a member.
While Fatima said she did not believe this introduced any bias into RAVEC’s decision, she added that the Duke was surprised to learn of Young’s involvement because “he was told it was an independent decision”.
This comes after Prince Harry and Markle traveled to the UK with their children Archie, 3, and Lilibet, 1, last month to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.
https://www.ibtimes.com.au/twitter-reacts-prince-harry-winning-right-challenge-removal-uk-government-security-1833977?utm_source=Public&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=Distribution Twitter reacts to Prince Harry’s right to challenge the removal of UK government security measures