Tyson Fury said negotiations for a fight with Anthony Joshua were still ongoing, although he previously claimed the fight would not take place.
Following Joshua’s second straight point loss to Oleksandr Usyk in August, Fury offered his compatriot a shot at the WBC heavyweight title in exchange for the long-awaited all-British superfight.
However, Fury, 34, claimed on Monday 26 September that the competition would not go ahead after Joshua allegedly missed a contract deadline set by Fury himself. The “Gypsy King” has now backtracked on that statement but has urged “AJ” to sign a combat agreement before the end of tomorrow.
“This is a message to Anthony Joshua,” Fury wrote on Instagram. “My promoter Frank Warren convinced me to let Queensberry negotiate with your team this week knowing you would never fight that fight.
“I have just been told that BT, Dazn, ESPN and all broadcasters are happy with the terms and ready to support this fight. Your side has received a contract that allows you to view each contract and negotiate contracts with all partners at the event. We agreed to do it as a co-promotion, everything in one pot, clean, fair and transparent.
“I bet Frank that no matter what we offer you, you wouldn’t take this fight. So it’s up to you either I win my bet and you show the public how cowardly you are or get your lawyers and team on the phone with my page today who are all available as they are all the time and have been to have the contract signed.
“They’ve had this contract for 2 weeks now, my team has everything taken care of with the broadcasters, tickets, the venue, everything is ready to go. Someone sent me a video of your friend Eddie [Hearn, promoter]talk about the [Deontay] Wilder fought with you some time ago, and he says if you want a fight, you, your team, and your attorneys must act fast to make it happen.
“You had 14 days, pull out your finger and make this fight happen for the British boxing public. Don’t be a coward, instruct your team to close this deal.”
“Joshua, the ball is really yours,” Fury said in a video on his social channels. “If you’re a man and have any kind of dignity and pride in yourself, get this signed today.
“That’s it, there are no more days, weeks, months. You’ve had the contract for over two weeks now and you still haven’t signed it. Let the British fans have what they want.
“You’re a beaten man and I’m a world champion, I’ll throw you a massive boner but I know I can punch you in the face so I’m willing to give you an opportunity.”
“There is nothing left to do, everyone is happy, bring your team to me, they will be available all day as they have been for the past two weeks. Have this contract signed today.”
Joshua’s loss to Usyk in August meant the 32-year-old Briton did not regain the WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO heavyweight titles he lost to the undefeated Ukrainian in September 2021.
After this summer’s rematch, Usyk was set to face Fury to crown an undisputed heavyweight champion, but the Ukrainian will not be fit in time for the Brit’s desired December fight date. As a result, Fury offered Joshua a title shot.
Fury last competed in April, beating compatriot Dillian Whyte in the sixth round.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/boxing/fury-joshua-fight-talks-latest-news-b2177852.html Tyson Fury says fight talks with Anthony Joshua are ongoing