UKRAINE government websites have been hacked with a message warning people to “wait for the worst” in the face of a fearsome Russian invasion.
With 100,000 Russian troops massed on the Ukrainian border, the massive cyber attack comes just a day after a series of talks between Moscow and the West aimed at de-escalating tensions ended in a stalemate.
Ukrainian authorities are investigating the hacking attack on several government websites, including the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Cabinet of Ministers and the Security and Defense Council.
A notice, displayed on hacked government websites, said: “Ukrainian! All your personal data has been uploaded to the public network.
“All data on the device is destroyed and cannot be recovered
“Everything about you has become public, fear and expect the worst. This is for your past, present and future.”
The note – written in Ukrainian, Russian and Polish – appeared when people tried to access the sites, and has since been removed after the pages were temporarily taken down.
A spokesman for Ukraine’s foreign ministry told Reuters it was too early to say who might be behind the attack but said Russia had been behind similar attacks in the past.
Most read in The Irish Sun
Russia was not immediately available for comment but has previously denied being behind the cyberattacks on Ukraine.
The European Union’s top diplomat condemned the attack and said the EU’s political and security committee and cyber units would meet to see how to respond and help Kyiv.
Josep Borrell told reporters at a meeting of EU foreign ministers in the western French city of Brest: “We will mobilize all our resources to help Ukraine deal with this cyber attack. I know it can happen.”
“It’s hard to say (who’s behind it). I can’t blame anyone because I don’t have proof, but we can imagine.”
It comes after no breakthrough was achieved at meetings between Russia and Western countries, fear Moscow might launch a new attack over a country it invaded in 2014.
According to Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, despite four hours of negotiations, “significant differences” remained.
Top diplomats have warned Europe that the “closest place to armed conflict” in the past 30 years is war. Tensions escalate over the Ukraine crisis.
“We are facing a European security crisis,” said US Ambassador to the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) Michael Carpenter at a press conference on Thursday.
“The drums of war are ringing and the rhetoric has become shrill.”
A top official in Poland, which shares borders with Ukraine and Russia, has warned that fears of World War 3 are growing, with tensions flared in Georgia, Armenia and Moldova, as well as like Ukraine.
“It seems that the danger of war in the OSCE region is now greater than ever in the last 30 years,” said Polish Foreign Minister Zbigniew Rau.
“For several weeks, we were faced with the prospect of a major military escalation in Eastern Europe.”
“We should focus on a peaceful resolution of the conflict in and around Ukraine,” he continued.
More than 100,000 Russian troops deployed near Ukraine border, while separate wars with Moscow-backed separatists continue to flare up.
Russia denies planning to attack Ukraine but says it may carry out unspecified military actions unless demands are met, including a promise by the NATO alliance to never recognize Kyiv.
https://www.thesun.ie/news/8204365/ukraine-government-websites-hacked-feared-russian-invasion/ Ukrainian government websites HACKED with message warning ‘wait for the worst’ before fearing Russian invasion