News

Vet warns of common grilled food that could kill your dog

James Buick of the Comber and Ards Veterinary Clinic is urging dog owners to keep an eye on their pets this barbecue season as there are many hazards that could prove fatal to them

Sharp spikes can penetrate a dog's stomach wall and potentially cause infection
Sharp spikes can penetrate a dog’s stomach wall and potentially cause infection

Dog owners are cautioned to keep their pets away from a common barbecue item that could prove potentially deadly if ingested.

James Buick, from Comber and Ards Veterinary Clinicreminds owners of the dangers of wooden kabab sticks when grilling in warm weather.

He said: “Kebabs, homemade and store-bought, are a very popular part of grilling today.

“And while they’re practical and quite innocent-looking, they’re potential dog killers, especially at a busy party where the dog manages to find a tasty morsel on the floor.”

“The problem isn’t the meat, it’s not even the marinade, it’s the skewer holding the meat in place.

Sign up for our TeamDogs newsletter for your weekly dose of dog news, pictures and stories.






He warns of the dangers of wooden kebab sticks

“An injury usually results from dropping the stick when a party guest forgets that a BBQ collector in the form of a dog is present. The dog smells the fleshy stick and devours it.

“But if they chew the stick, it can break or splinter in their mouth, resulting in an uncomfortable foreign object in their tongue, gums, cheek or throat, which can develop into an abscess if not treated in time.”

Mr Buick explained how the sharp spikes can penetrate a dog’s stomach wall and potentially cause infection or peritonitis in the abdomen.

He added: “An even greater risk is the stick going down the esophagus like a sword swallower swallowing a sword.

“It can enter the stomach harmlessly, but then the stomach muscle contracts as part of the peristalsis that occurs during digestion.

“And we’ve seen cases of a stick penetrating the stomach, liver and diaphragm and ending up sticking out of the dog’s chest between two ribs.

“My advice is if you have dogs with you when you are grilling please make sure you know where the kebab sticks will be placed after cooking or better yet have the grill chef remove the meat from the sticks and the wooden ones Dispose of kebab sticks safely and safely away from pets’ prying noses.”

It comes after a 10-month-old German shepherd puppy swallowed a kebab skewer that made its way to her leg after passing all of her major organs, reports BelfastLive.

After a lengthy operation she was back on her feet and making a good recovery – but other dogs may not be so lucky.

BBQ Foods Not To Be Shared With Dogs:

Meat bones and ribs, cooked or uncooked: Bones can pose a choking hazard, small pieces can injure gums, lips and tongue, and cause internal damage if swallowed. Discard any bones safely once you’re done so your dog isn’t tempted to sniff them out.

Raw meat:
Raw or undercooked meat can harbor bacteria such as salmonella and listeria, which are harmful to both dogs and humans.

onions:
Highly toxic to dogs and can cause serious complications from n-propyl disulfide which can affect red blood cells causing their breakdown and can result in a dog suffering from anemia.

Owners should also look out for onions in ingredient lists such as fresh burgers and sausages, pasta sauces, pizzas and salads.

corn on the cob: Dogs can ingest a large piece of butt, which can cause both choking and intestinal blockage.

Butts are bad for all dogs, but especially small to medium-sized breeds that have smaller throats and stomachs.

However, candy corn itself is actually good for dogs as the grains are packed with protein and fatty acids. Owners can remove the corn from the cob and safely dispose of the cob.

Guacamole: Avocado can be toxic to dogs due to a toxin called persin.

Although dogs are more resistant to this, the toxin can still damage their stomachs.

Most of the persin is found in the leaves and skin of the plant, but some is also found in the flesh of the avocado.

Grapes and Raisins: If you’re selling fruit salad, be careful not to let the dog get too close to these highly toxic ingredients—even the smallest amount can cause serious damage and potentially be fatal.

Research is still working on where the danger lies, but the toxicity is believed to be caused by salicylic acid, which can decrease blood flow to the kidneys.

Chocolate Pudding/Ice Cream: You’ve heard it before, but remember that chocolate is toxic to dogs and can make them very sick.

Continue reading

Continue reading

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/vet-issues-warning-over-common-27050106 Vet warns of common grilled food that could kill your dog

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button