News

Wayne Couzens, Sarah Everard’s killer, opts for jury trial over indecent disclosure allegations

blank

Sarah Everard’s killer, Wayne Couzens, has elected a jury to answer four charges of indecent disclosure.

He claimed flashing incidents were said to have occurred in Swanley, Kent, in January and February last year, which predates Ms Everard’s murder and when he was still a serving Metropolitan Police officer.

The former armed officer in the Met’s Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command is said to have “deliberately exposed his genitals with the intent that someone would see them and set off alarm and distress.”

The incidents are said to have happened four times in Swanley, between January 22 and February 1, January 30 and February 6, February 14 and February 27.

Couzens spoke on Wednesday to confirm his name and date of birth and offered no evidence of any apologies for any of the charges.

Chief Magistrate Paul Goldspring said the case was amenable to hearing in the Magistrates’ Court, but when asked by legal counsel where he would like to hear the case, Couzens said: “My legal team advised me at the Crown Court.”

Mr Goldspring sent the case to the Old Bailey, where Couzens will next appear on May 11th.

He said: “Mr Couzens, you are charged with four offenses relating to Section 66 of the Sexual Offenses Act.

“You have given no indication as to how you might proceed in relation to these four matters.

“I have determined that without what we know later they would be suitable for a trial in this court on their own initiative.

“As is your right, you have chosen the Crown Court trial.”

Couzens, 49, is serving a life sentence for the kidnapping, rape and murder of 33-year-old marketing executive Ms Everard in March 2021.

A public inquiry into how a serving police officer was able to kidnap, rape and murder Ms Everard will see if “red flags” were missed.

It will examine how previous allegations of indecent exposure have been handled, as well as any other “relevant incidents”, including criminal conduct or misconduct.

The inquiry, chaired by Dame Elish Angiolini QC, has not been given a start date but the UK Government said it will “start shortly” and intends to be completed this year.

She said the investigation would ensure “Sarah’s family and the general public receive a full understanding and explanation of the causes and factors contributing to this tragic and harrowing murder.”

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/britain/sarah-everards-killer-wayne-couzens-chooses-jury-trial-over-indecent-exposure-claims-41551182.html Wayne Couzens, Sarah Everard’s killer, opts for jury trial over indecent disclosure allegations

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button