Under the new guidelines, which will apply from April 1, most members of the public in England will only be able to get a free Covid test in certain circumstances
Image: AFP via Getty Images)
Free Covid tests in England was scrapped under new government guidelines from April 1.
That means people can no longer order for free covid Test devices to find out if they have symptoms.
lateral flow tests (LFTs) cost £2 or £2.50 per test from April 1st, based on figures from Tesco and Boots respectively.
The Scottish National Party ( SNP ) also said free tests in Scotland will be scrapped from the end of April amid an alleged lack of funds from Westminster.
The Government estimated £15.7 billion will be spent on the Testing, Tracing and Isolation budget from 2021-2022.
It hopes that an emphasis on the vaccination program and continued roll-out of the booster program will help keep cases down.
However, despite the new guidance, some confusion remains about access to different types of tests in England, as different rules apply to different types of tests.
Despite the changes, both PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests and LFTs remain free for humans only in very specific circumstances.
Where can I get free LFTs?
AFP via Getty Images)
Certain members of the public can still receive free LFTs, but they will no longer be freely available to everyone.
Tesco, Boots and Superdrug already sell individual tests or packs of five.
- NHS patients in hospital
- Those who are eligible for antiviral and other treatments for Covid-19 will be given a pack of tests and can request replacements if necessary
- NHS staff and staff working in NHS-funded independent healthcare can still order LFTs through the test ordering portal
- Adult Care Social Workers, Personal Assistants, Shared Lives Carers and CQC Inspectors can still order LFTs through the Trial Ordering Portal
- Staff and patients in hospices are cared for by the hospice
- Detainees and prison staff are provided by the prison
- Immigration centers are provided with tests for staff and detainees
- Users and staff of high-risk domestic violence and homelessness shelters
Where can I get free PCR tests?
Under the new guidelines, PCR tests will be given to people with symptoms when they are in the hospital.
The government said in the guidance that the test would be made available to patients who are already hospitalized and “where a PCR test is required for their care and to allow access to treatments and to support ongoing clinical surveillance for emerging variants.” “.
PCR tests are sent to a lab instead of relying on a home kit.
This is done for a more accurate result, although it is NHS Wales explained: “Scientific advice has shown that by testing more frequently with [LFTs]their accuracy is comparable to RT-PCR tests and that is why we repeat the tests twice a week.”
https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/can-free-lateral-flow-pcr-26612415 Where can I get a free lateral flow or PCR Covid test now?