A WOMAN who bought Tesco pasta sauce became ‘sick’ after finding maggots in her jar of Bolognese.
Rosina James went to make herself a pasta bolognese on Monday December 12 when she was shocked to discover SEVEN maggot looking items in her Tesco own brand bolognese sauce.
Ms James reported the unpleasant find to Tesco, who have apologized and are now investigating.
Ms James, who bought the pasta sauce from Tesco on November 25, said: “I opened the jar on Monday night to make pasta bolognese but I couldn’t eat the sauce because of the maggots.
“I could see seven maggots in a jar of bolognese sauce, and they were all over the jar, not just the top.
“And in the second jar I bought I could see about five or six.
“I felt nauseous – and I still think about it. I kept watching it because it’s so disgusting.
“I’m not asking Tesco for any compensation or my money back, I just want them to take the sauce off their shelves but they refuse.”
She added that she would still go back to shop at Tesco but only because she knows where she is going.
“But I won’t buy Bolognese anymore,” she added. “I ended up having to eat plain pasta that night.”
A Tesco spokeswoman said: “We deeply regret this and have contacted the customer to apologize.
“The health and safety of our customers is our top priority and we are investigating this with our supplier as a matter of priority.
“We have strict hygiene standards for all of our manufacturers and will be in touch with the customer once our investigation is complete.”
Tesco has held talks with its supplier and said it was “unlikely” the substance was maggots.
It could be plant material, it is claimed.
A complaint was also lodged with the Environmental Health Department of the BCP Council.
A spokeswoman said: “We are investigating a complaint from a customer of Tesco in Yarrow Road, Poole.
“We will review the complaint and prioritize matters that could cause significant harm to health and take action against violations of the law in accordance with our enforcement policy.”
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/23192426.woman-left-feeling-sick-finding-maggots-tesco-pasta-sauce/?ref=rss Woman felt ‘sick’ after finding ‘maggots’ in Tesco pasta sauce