A woman was arrested and a suspected weapon confiscated during an investigation into a security alert that led to Foreign Secretary Simon Coveney being evacuated from an event in North Belfast.
The UVF is suspected of being involved in Friday’s incident, which saw Mr Coveney being evacuated from the event organized by the John and Pat Hume Foundation in North Belfast.
The Houben Center on Crumlin Road was evacuated and a funeral service at nearby Holy Cross Church was suspended.
Police said the driver of a van was threatened by two gunmen and forced to drive what he believed was a live bomb to the church.
On Sunday morning, the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) said a 38-year-old woman had been arrested on suspicion of possession of a firearm in suspicious circumstances, possession of criminal property and concealing criminal property.
A PSNI spokeswoman said she was in custody and was assisting police in their investigation.
It comes after the Serious Crime Unit carried out searches in the Ballysillan and Springmartin areas of north and west Belfast on Saturday night.
A suspected firearm, two vehicles, a quantity of controlled drugs and a large sum of cash were seized by police.
The incident was condemned by politicians across the political spectrum.
Secretary of State Brandon Lewis described the approach as “reprehensible”.
https://www.independent.ie/news/woman-held-and-suspected-gun-seized-by-police-probing-belfast-security-alert-41492218.html Woman stopped and suspected gun seized by police investigating Belfast security alert