A RAT has warned people about fire safety after a discarded door was set on fire on a beach.
A Worthing Coastal Office worker near Worthing Lido spotted the still-smoldering door with dangerously hot pebbles on the beach.
The area was temporarily closed to the public.
Adur and Worthing Councils warned fires could endanger others as the beach contains flint.
A council spokesman said: “When flint is heated it can splinter, creating razor-sharp flakes that can easily cut through skin.”
He also warned that nails and screws left over from fires and the possibility of burns also pose serious hazards to others on the beach.
“There have been numerous instances of young children walking barefoot on beaches and suffering painful burns,” the spokesman added.
The council also warned that uncontrolled fires could spread to nearby buildings or damage wooden groynes, requiring emergency services to take time to deal with the incident.
Visitors to the beach are urged to stay safe and to report fires lit on the beach to the fire department and police.
Fires along the shoreline are prohibited except in a designated BBQ area at Lancing Beach.
Several large, purpose-built metal BBQ stations are also accessible on Goring Greensward during the summer months.
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/20517415.worthing-council-warning-door-set-alight-beach/?ref=rss Worthing Council warning after door set on fire on beach