Yacht that ran aground near Seven Sisters cliffs was still stuck

A YACHT that ran aground under the cliffs of the Seven Sisters weeks ago is still stranded.

The 16 meter yacht left Dover on July 23 before running into trouble between the Cuckmere Valley and Birling Gap near Eastbourne in the early hours of July 25.

The owner hoped it would get afloat when the tide came in, but the boat, named Cape Michelle, got stuck on the rocks.

Air bags have been fitted around the hull, but there are fears the boat is “deeper embedded in the chalk than previously thought”.

The Argus: She ran aground on July 25thIt ran aground on July 25

A spokeswoman for the Maritime and Coastguard Agency said: “Attempts to refloat the Cape Michelle began at high tide on Tuesday by the owner’s contracted salvage company, but the yacht remains in position at Seven Sisters, east of Newhaven.

“Airbags have been deployed around the hull alongside additional tow points to attach a tow line – but there are concerns the ship is embedded deeper in the chalk than previously thought, limiting the ship’s ability to refloat.

“Additional options are being explored by the salvors while a Multicat vessel stays nearby for another towing attempt if conditions are suitable.

“Chances for flooding are improving as the week progresses, with the highest tide due at the weekend. MCA Pollution Response remains in liaison with the local authority, vessel owner and salvor.”

On Monday, July 25, rescue teams were alerted to the boat, which had one person on board dragging its anchor across the seabed.

The Argus: Salvage options are currently being exploredRescue options are being examined

The sailor was taken to safety by coastguard helicopter from Lydd in Kent.

The Birling Gap Coastguard Rescue Team and the RNLI from Newhaven also attended.

The sea was choppy, with waves about a meter high during the day and Cape Michelle was visible to the left.

The Coast Guard encouraged people not to attempt to approach or board the ship due to the rocky terrain.

The Argus reported that the boat remained there for days after it ran aground.

There were concerns that the boat could leak diesel, which “would not have any harmful effects on the environment in the long term”.

In June, a yacht also carrying one person washed up on Rustington Beach in Littlehampton. Yacht that ran aground near Seven Sisters cliffs was still stuck

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button