You should stop using this Amazon carbon monoxide detector – here’s why

Authorities are warning consumers against using a specific carbon monoxide alarm sold on Amazon. Failure to draw attention to the presence of carbon monoxide could result in carbon monoxide poisoning.

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has urged people to stop using HECOPRO’s digital display carbon monoxide (CO) detectors because they reportedly “failed to warn” that the toxic gas was present when they measured predetermined levels (400 ppm) exposed. in sensitivity tests. This is a “violation of relevant safety standards,” said the authority on Thursday.

Carbon monoxide has been described as an “invisible killer” because it’s a colorless and odorless gas that can cause “sudden illness and death.” According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), people exposed to carbon monoxide while sleeping or intoxicated can die before they have symptoms.

For this reason, installing carbon monoxide alarms and making sure they work is one of the most important ways people can protect themselves from carbon monoxide poisoning without a fire.

“If a consumer installs a CO alarm that does not indicate the presence of carbon monoxide, and carbon monoxide enters the home, the consumer will not be warned of the presence of this noxious gas, making injury or death very likely,” according to the CPSC said.

The HECOPRO carbon monoxide detectors with digital display were sold on Amazon “under ASIN B07T66J7KJ”. They were white in color and have a digital display. Photos of the product are available on the CPSC website.

“CPSC urges consumers to stop buying, selling and using these CO detectors, to discard these products immediately, and to install new, working CO detectors,” the agency noted.

Every year about 50,000 people in the US end up in hospitals due to accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. CPSC data shows that over 150 people in the country die each year from accidental non-fire carbon monoxide poisoning related to consumer goods such as generators.

Other important ways people can protect themselves from carbon monoxide poisoning are to never use an oven or gas stove to heat their homes and never run a parked vehicle engine in an enclosed or partially enclosed space.

Even items like charcoal grills, lanterns, or portable camping stoves should not be used inside the home, tent, or RV, the CDC found. And you should never operate gasoline-powered objects such as generators in closed buildings, “even if doors and windows are open”.

It’s also best to be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, such as headaches, nausea, vomiting, confusion, and drowsiness.

“If you suspect CO poisoning, get fresh air immediately and then call 911,” the CPSC said.

The CDC and CPSC websites provide people with other important ways to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Related Articles

https://www.ibtimes.com.au/you-should-stop-using-carbon-monoxide-detector-amazon-heres-why-1838670?utm_source=Public&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=Distribution You should stop using this Amazon carbon monoxide detector – here’s why

Fry Electronics Team

Fry Electronics.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@fry-electronics.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button