Young family heartbroken after losing ‘everything’ in massive warehouse fire

Khatera and Esmat Husseini are storing their belongings at a warehouse in Greater Manchester, which was hit by a massive fire in the early hours

Khatera and Esmat Husseini stayed with their children for four months
Khatera and Esmat Husseini stayed with their children for four months

A young family with a three-week-old baby is facing the painful reality of starting life from scratch after a massive warehouse fire.

Khatera and Esmat Husseini stayed with their children for four months, living in two hotels, as well as homes in Newton Heath and Oldham.

During that time, the family stored their belongings at the Armadillo Self Storage site in Greater Manchester, which caught fire at dawn on February 26.

Now, Khatera says the family has lost everything – from their belongings and replaceable clothing, to precious photos and memories now lost forever.

She told Manchester Evening News : “Now we have to start from zero. We have nothing.

Fire crews battle the blaze at the Armadillo Depot in Cheadle



“I can buy furniture and things like that. I can buy it new or second hand, I don’t mind.

“But most things I can’t replace. That’s what’s ruining me – but there’s nothing I can do about it.”

Khatera moved to the UK from Afghanistan six years ago, where Esmat has lived.

The couple settled in Wythenshawe and have two sons – 5-year-old Oscar and 17-month-old Osiris.

They became homeless last October when they left their rented house, while Khatera was pregnant, as their home became unsafe and the rent started to escalate.

The family were moved to a hotel by Manchester City Council for six weeks, before being found a property in Newton Heath.

But Khatera says the family is not guaranteed how long they can keep the property and the situation is far from ideal.

Khatera, 31, said: “I’m pregnant. I have to take my eldest son to school every day, and take the bus home at 6:30 am. It’s really difficult.”

The family is storing their belongings at a storage facility in Greater Manchester



Khatera said that after being turned down a home in Newton Heath, the family were told to leave and move into a second hotel in a month, before being found another home in Oldham where they are currently staying.

Since becoming homeless last October, the family had to move into a hotel for six weeks before being found in Newton Heath.

They were moved to a hotel again in January, before finding new temporary accommodation in Oldham earlier this month, the same day the couple’s third son – Octavis – was born.

Khatera said the family started taking items from the Armadillo site when they moved to Newton Heath, but returned them when they left, and the items have remained there ever since.

She said: “We put everything there. There’s not enough room if we bring all our stuff here, there won’t be a place for my children to sleep.

“We have clothes in there, my husband’s work uniform, my son’s school uniform. Anything we need, we’ll pick it up and bring it here.”

Octavis was born earlier this month


Khatera Husseini)

About 130 firefighters battled the blaze at the Armadillo site at its peak.

The website’s owners told the Manchester Evening News that most of the content was destroyed in the devastating fire, which the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service is treating as intentional.

Those items include belongings stored by the Khatera family – including sofas, refrigerators and laptops, as well as photographs from Afghanistan and clothing.

“We lost everything on Saturday,” Khatera said.

“We stayed up all night and couldn’t sleep. Losing everything would be hard and I still can’t cope with it until now.

“I came here to have a good life in the UK. Now everything has turned upside down.”

Big fire at the end of last month



The family is currently trying to move back to nearby Wythenshawe, with their case to be heard in court.

They are one of many families and business owners who have used the Armadillo facility, which was told on Saturday not to visit the building for safety reasons, and Khatera said she is now waiting for more information. from its owner.

In a statement released on Saturday, a spokesman for The Big Yellow Family Self-Storage said: “At this time, the cause of the fire is unknown but we now understand that the building and most of the furniture was significantly destroyed.

“We will provide updates as we learn more. Customers should not attempt to visit the store.

“We sincerely apologize to all affected customers and will contact them directly for regular updates as soon as possible.

“We know this is going to be a difficult time for all of our customers and some of the assets held with us can never be replaced, which is why we are heartbroken. suffering when this incident happened.

“We will work with insurance companies to manage customer content claims as quickly as possible.”

Councilor Luthfur Rahman, OBE, deputy leader of Manchester City Council said: “This has been an incredibly difficult time for the family and my sincere sympathies with them because of the circumstances. This is what they are facing.”

“We have been working with the family since they presented to the Council as homeless in the Fall.

“Although they were accommodated, upon review it was determined that the property could not afford them in the current situation.

“We are working hard to find them suitable accommodation and offer them more but unfortunately due to high rents in the private sector and pressure on the system we cannot guarantee that I can bring families into the area where they want to live, and any additional incentives may be within Greater Manchester boundaries.”

Read more

Read more Young family heartbroken after losing 'everything' in massive warehouse fire

Fry Electronics Team

Fry is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button